Sunday, July 17, 2011

One year down/to go!


July 11, 2011

One year in.

We got to Benin on July 17th (?) 2010, which was just about one year ago.  I guess what comes next is something like…I can’t believe I’ve already been here a year! The time has flown, it feels like I was just in training and I can’t believe how far I’ve come and how much I’ve changed.  But actually, I CAN believe I’ve been here a year.  I feel every day of it, and I don’t mean that in a depressing I hate Benin kind of way.  What I mean is that I am acutely aware of my time here and the progression of my two years.  There was an abrupt jump recently for me from two years, oh my god, I’m living here for two whole years?! to whoa I only have a year left and there’s so many projects I want to do and haven’t done yet and places I want to visit and eek.  I understand now why a volunteer service of one year just wouldn’t work, or rather why it would not be nearly as effective.  Taking a whole year “just” to meet people, get to know your surroundings, and learn to understand (culturally and linguistically) people around you might seem ridiculous, or even horrible. It is tough, and often not very warm and fuzzy, but also necessary and, eventually, beneficial. 

So, what have I done this year?
1.     Read a lot of books – I’d recommend What is the What, The Glass Castle, and The Elegance of the Hedgehog
2.     Learned (a tad bit of) Bariba – meaning I can tell people my name and where I’m from, where I’m going, and how much bouillie I want to buy
3.     Contracted intestinal parasites, and then again, and then another time
4.     Participated in a bike tour of 10 villages on the subject of family planning      
5.     Learned that having a baby pee on you is considered good luck! (I am very lucky.)
6.     Gotten a little more used to….being called batoure, having to saluer every single person I pass lest I be considered rude, participating in conversations with lots of (awkward) pauses, people balking at the notion that having multiple wives is illegal in the U.S., being asked repeatedly to provide express passage to Beninese people to the U.S., not eating vegetables, eating rice and beans for breakfast (if I’m lucky), eating with my hands, getting sunburned after 10 minutes of sun, and never having my own seat in a car (or even my own half seat…), the smile that having a whole village of children know your name (Ma-yee) brings

I’ve been biking to Pehunco probably three times a week lately, which is nice because there’s people, electricity, and food there and also because it’s pretty good exercise.  Peace Corps gives us pretty nice bikes (they’re Trek mountain bikes), especially compared to the bikes most Beninese have, but riding 10 k on sandy, hilly roads is a workout.  It’s been cooler lately though so I don’t arrive dripping in sweat like I did during chaleur (well actually I mostly zem’d during chaleur).  The rainy season is supposed to have started depuis longtemps but so far we’ve only had one intense, thunder and lightning storm and then a few heavy sprinkles.  The lack of rain is the talk of the town and inevitably comes up in conversation – “cette année, la pluie, vraiment on ne sait pas…”.  I biked in to Pehunco this morning, and I’m waiting around because I’m apparently early for an 8 am meeting (it is 9:30) to discuss finding a new work partner for me.  I wrote up project plans for two projects that I want to get started on - the production and sale of moringa powder and building and using compost piles in gardens.  I’m hoping that after today I will have a designated and interested person that will help me start and implement these.  Having a go-between who can translate, who is already a known face, and who is Beninese helps immensely.

Coming up in the next few weeks I have-
Benin's Independence Day Fete - August 1st in Nati
Girls Camp - August 9-13th in Nati
Stage training - early September

Miss everyone, hope you're all doing well.



CEG Tonri

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog posts, Molly - keep 'em coming! I know it's not easy, but they are always so interesting and inciteful. Very proud of you!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete